6 Steps to Ensure On Target News Release Delivery
It goes without saying that no one likes to receive unsolicited emails, and journalists may be among the most frequent victims of this practice.
When I worked as a reporter (before email existed), PR folks mailed and faxed news announcements to the station. You can imagine the stacks of unopened and unread releases that cluttered our desks.
But I always wondered what interesting story might be buried in that old pile. I just didn’t have the time to sift through it all.
Now, we have email. Reporters can receive hundreds of them every day. While we counsel our clients on the best and most suitable distribution, we also give journalists a say in the types of news releases they want to receive from us.
Registered users of PR Newswire for Journalists are able to drill down their newsfeed to the specific industries, subjects, and geographic regions they want. They’re also able to set the email delivery and schedule of their choice.
PR Newswire for Journalists newsfeeds are completely in the control of the journalists and bloggers who are vetted and registered for the service.
Want to get started?
Follow these six steps to create a customized newsfeed on our revamped media site:
1. Click on “Edit My Profile” in the drop-down menu beneath your name at the top of PR Newswire for Journalists.
If you are new to the site, you will be prompted to add a newsfeed right after you register.
2. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click “Create New Profile.”
3. Give your newsfeed profile a name and switch the email to YES in the “Receiving email box.”
4. Tell us how often you want to receive news from us. This can be daily, once a week, or once a month. Also, let us know if you want full-text, abstracts, or only headlines.
5. Select the type of news you want by keyword, company, industry, subject, place, and language.
6. Click “Create Profile” and voila! You will receive news releases from PR Newswire on the days and times you told us.
Creating your personal newsfeed weeds out the stuff you don’t want and delivers the items you do. If you switch beats or switch jobs, no problem. Newsfeed profiles can be changed at any time.
If you need assistance setting up a newsfeed or with other PR Newswire services for journalists, email firstname.lastname@example.org for a personal walk-thru.
Subscribe to Beyond Bylines to get media trends, journalist interviews, blogger profiles, and more sent right to your inbox.
Subscribe to Blog via Email
Brett Savage-Simon is PR Newswire’s former director of audience relations and was a television reporter in her former life.