4 Health News Trends: 2023 Health Goals, Black Health Awareness, and More
A look at the health industry news from PR Newswire in January and February that you might have missed.
(Note: This is an edited version of a blog post originally published on prnewswire.com. Read the original for more.)
Health-related news remains a constant on the wire. In fact, PR Newswire distributed more than 5,700 healthcare-focused press releases in January and February.
As usual, healthcare releases cover an array of subjects, from being a healthier you in the New Year to health topics that impact women and minorities.
Let’s explore the healthcare trends we have noticed over the two-month period that started 2023.
Some of the Most Popular Healthcare Releases:
Over the past two months, these healthcare press releases received a standout number of reads and/or engagement:
- There were a couple of very important healthcare acquisitions that garnered a lot of page views in February. They included the announcement that CVS Health is acquiring Oak Street Health and this press release about Abbott acquiring Cardiovascular Systems, Inc.
- One important health-related breakthrough to start off 2023 was the FDA’s approval of Eisai’s Alzheimer’s treatment LEQEMBI™. One of the most viewed releases about this topic was Eisai’s January press release about U.S. pricing.
- In other FDA approval news, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved Jesduvroq – the first oral treatment for anemia caused by chronic kidney disease for adults on dialysis.
Healthcare News Trends
Here’s a look at a few of the trends we noticed among healthcare-related press releases in January and February, with a few examples of each.
Fitness and Wellness in the New Year
Did you make a New Year’s resolution for 2023? If so, you’d be one of almost 50% of Americans that started the year trying to better themselves.
Many companies started off 2023 by offering options to help people keep their resolutions and reach their 2023 fitness and health goals.
Here are a few examples from January and February:
- Chris Hemsworth’s Centr Announces ‘Moves That Matter’ to Create Healthier Habits in 2023 for All
- Zumba® Marks Big Return to Consumer Products with Launch of Zumba® 6 Week Transformation Program
- Jenny Craig, Leader in Weight Loss and Weight Management, Debuts Jenny Fresh, a Line of Fresh Entrees That Are Fully Prepared and Delivered
Black Health Awareness
With Martin Luther King Day in January and Black History Month in February, PR Newswire had no shortage of noteworthy press releases centered on Black health and wellness.
The main themes throughout these releases included health equity and disparities within the Black community, company and organizational efforts to increase diversity, equity, and inclusion practices, and enlightening medical research and surveys.
January and February delivered some of these interesting releases:
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day Shines Spotlight on Continuing Need to Address Health Inequities and Improved Access
- The Prostate Cancer Foundation Launches ‘Black Men: Know Your Risk’ Campaign and Teams Up With Atlanta Hawks for ‘Black History Month Assist Challenge’
- Investigating Neighborhood Redevelopment’s Impact on Heart Health in the Bronx
Healthcare at Tradeshows
Two prominent tradeshows with an impact on health took place in January: the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) and the 41st Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference.
January and February saw nearly 1,000 press releases that mentioned CES or the Consumer Electronics Show. The health-related releases from CES were mostly about new tech products that could have a huge impact on our health – from contactless blood pressure monitoring to a smart bed that improves sleep.
The J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference took place January 9-12 in San Francisco with keynotes from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and Eli Lilly. Companies sent out press releases about their time at the event covering everything from clinical data and their R&D pipeline to corporate updates.
Important health-related press releases from the tradeshows include:
- Movano Health’s Evie Ring Wins 10 “Best of CES 2023” Awards
- Abbott, Blood Centers of America Launch First-of-its-Kind Mixed Reality Experience for Use During Blood Donation
- Precigen Provides Pipeline and Corporate Updates at the 41st Annual J.P. Morgan Healthcare Conference
Women & Health
In the opening months of 2023, a healthy amount of release subject matter dealt with women’s health. Whether it was a new company, product, service, or campaign, women’s health was a hot topic in the healthcare world.
These are some of the more prominent stories about women and health to hit the wire:
- Chrissy Teigen Partners with Cord Blood Registry®
- New Harris Poll Reveals Significant Gaps in Women’s Knowledge About Cervical Cancer
- New Healthcare Company Julie Donates Nearly 200,000 Units of Emergency Contraception to Network of Partners
We’re only just closing out the first two months of 2023, and there is still plenty of time for huge announcements and clear trends to emerge as the months progress, like say, Eli Lilly’s insulin bombshell on March 1.
It will also be rewarding to see the progression of healthcare companies’ DEI efforts and the way they navigate these challenges. And speaking of challenges, hopefully, everyone can stay on track and create better and healthier lifestyles for themselves with their health resolutions for the new year. Until next time…