ESG News: 3 Trends We Spotted in January
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) news is taking the new year by storm as companies announce their major advancements and achievements in sustainability. By following the latest ESG press releases from PR Newswire, journalists can help drive the conversation about which companies are leading the charge for meaningful change.
Here are just a few ways we’ve noticed companies positioning themselves for the rest of the year.
1. Sustainability Reports
In January, several organizations issued their annual sustainability or ESG reports detailing their 2021 achievements. These reports are overflowing with insights into how a company went from strategy to success in areas like carbon emission reduction, diversity improvements and corporate hierarchy.
Here are a few examples:
- Investcorp highlighted ESG integrations within its investment and portfolio management activities
- Whirlpool’s 2021 sustainability achievements included improvements on zero waste goals and carbon footprint reductions.
2. Rankings, Ratings and Investments
Companies with great ESG stories and successes are being rewarded for their efforts and they’re sharing the news via PR Newswire. Asset managers and ratings/ranking agencies create lengthy lists of the companies that stood out in the preceding year. These ratings and rankings give stakeholders insight into which corporations are truly performing well in ESG. Some asset managers are even taking the approach of broadening their coverage and investment portfolios to meet investor demand.
Check out these recent announcements:
- Kimberly Clark announced its placement on the JUST Capital 100 list, which recognizes U.S. corporations that excel in areas like diversity, fair wages, worker safety, workplace inclusivity and sustainable production.
- Vanguard filed with the SEC for its Vanguard Baillie Gifford Global Positive Impact Stock Fund, creating a new investment opportunity for ESG-driven companies.
If you cover finance and investment news, these ratings and awards can provide valuable insights and story ideas.
3. Setting ESG Goals
Other companies are taking the start of 2022 as an opportunity to outline their ESG-related plans and targets. As ESG becomes top of mind, stakeholders will continue to have questions around which companies are making commitments and how they plan to achieve those goals.
These companies recently announced their ESG targets:
- NiSource Inc. announced a detailed framework around coal reduction, greenhouse gas emissions and water withdrawal reduction targets.
- Others are announcing strategic partnerships to help create a more sustainable environment, like IGT joining the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi) to drive carbon emission reduction.
Add the ESG subject code to your PR Newswire for Journalists newsfeed to stay caught up on every stage of a company’s sustainability journey.
January went by at a rapid pace. The ramp-up in ESG-related news is evidence that companies are taking fresh approaches to building strong profiles in sustainability. The amount of ESG news will only continue to grow and become more nuanced, so it’s important to take the time to understand the messaging that comes across and how it will impact your readers.