Journalism School Grads: What’s Next?
Graduation season is finally here! You have completed years of hard work; whether it was pulling all-nighters to finish an essay, cramming for an exam, or working on group projects — you did it! Now you may be asking yourself, what’s next?
In an increasingly competitive market, “You have to do the work to get the work,” Sharon Irwin-Foulon, executive director of Arizona State University’s W.P. Carey Career Management and Employer Engagement, said recently. “When students flounder, they haven’t thought out the advice and resources they’re privileged to have.”
Setting career goals and taking proactive steps towards achieving them is crucial for professional success. In this article, we’ll explore four key actions to boost your new career: planning your goals, creating an eye-catching resume, seeking internships, and mastering the art of job hunting. Let’s dive in!
1. Plan It Out – Jot Down Your Goals
Setting clear, well-defined goals is the first step toward a successful career. Take some time to reflect on your aspirations and create a list of short-term and long-term goals.
Be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART) in your goal-setting process. Writing down your goals helps you visualize and commit to them, making it easier to stay motivated and track your progress.
2. Create an Eye-Catching Resume
Your resume is your first opportunity to make a strong impression on potential employers. To create an eye-catching resume, follow these tips:
- Tailor your resume to the specific job you’re applying for, highlighting relevant skills and experiences.
- Use a clean and professional design, incorporating bullet points and headings for easy readability.
- Include a compelling summary or objective statement that showcases your unique value proposition.
- Emphasize quantifiable achievements and results to demonstrate your abilities.
- Proofread meticulously to ensure there are no errors or typos. After all, you’re a writer!
But it’s not just about what to include in your resume — there are also items that you can remove or leave out of it. Read our tips for leveling up your resume when applying for a journalism job.
3. Seek Internships
Internships provide invaluable hands-on experience and can open doors to future career opportunities. Consider these steps when seeking internships:
- Research outlets and industries that align with your interests and career goals.
- Utilize online platforms, such as LinkedIn, Indeed, and specialized internship websites, to search for relevant opportunities.
- Network with professionals in your desired field and seek recommendations or referrals.
- Prepare a well-crafted cover letter and resume tailored to each internship application.
- Be proactive by reaching out to publishers directly or attending career fairs and networking events.
Unsure of where to start? Here are some job and internship resources for new journalists.
4. Start Job Hunting
Job hunting requires a strategic approach to maximize your chances of success. Here are a few effective techniques:
- Polish your online presence, including your LinkedIn profile, to present a professional image to potential employers.
- Network on Facebook groups or at in-person events near you.
- Use job search engines and websites to find relevant job openings.
- Leverage your network by reaching out to connections, attending industry events, and joining professional associations.
- Tailor your application materials (resume, cover letter, writing portfolio) for each job application.
- Prepare for interviews by researching the company, practicing common interview questions, and showcasing your skills and experiences.
Landing a job straight out of college will take some time. We just have to learn to be optimistic and figure out the correct steps to achieve our goals. We have to learn the importance of delayed gratification and prepare ourselves for our dream job. While you may not land your dream job instantly, you will be on the path to getting it soon.
By following these essential steps, you’ll be well-equipped to navigate the path towards career success. Remember to plan your goals, create an eye-catching resume, seek out internships, and master the art of job hunting. With dedication, perseverance, and the right strategy, you can turn your career aspirations into a reality. Good luck!
Subscribe to Beyond Bylines to get media trends, journalist interviews, blogger profiles, and more sent right to your inbox.
Priscilla Rosero is the one of the customer content specialists who specializes in consulting clients when it comes to writing or distributing a press release. She is also an innovative story teller who puts her vision into words. She is happy to release some positivity! You can connect with her on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/priscilla-rosero-931147134